Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Super behind...whoops.

Ok, so I'm super behind. So, onward we plow.

In a discussion I was having with a friend the other day, I determined that there are not many strong female characters in literature.  I feel like this is the case in this class.  With the exception of In Camera, which is led by a strong feminist, I feel that many women are definitely shown as second best. In Pedro Perama, Susanna was crucial to the plot, but she was not strong.  Her father was a little creepy and Pedro was possessive. In The Rooftop Dwellers, the main character allowed the family that she leased her room from to walk all over her.  The geishas from Snow Country were passive and rather wishy washy.  Joyce's women were not the focus of his piece, however Mrs. Ivers did stand on her own, but in a brusque manner that is not something that most women would like to emulate.

I guess my frustration is that even in the literature of the early 20th Century women were stuck in stereotypical roles. Men were able to be rounded characters.  Joyce attempts this, I feel, by giving the wife a back story in The Dead, but we don't really know what she's thinking like we do with her husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment